Right off the bat, I'm going to be honest and tell you I don't even know what to call this thing! It has had many uses over the years. First, I filled those decorative drawer fronts with doggy food and treats and stored bags of each in the drawers, and my dog's leash and grooming supplies were housed in the cubby on the bottom. Then, after a very thorough cleaning, I filled the fronts with pasta and beans, and used the drawers to store potatoes. I've gotten a lot of good use out of it, but it was in need of some major TLC.
This is what it looked like before the makeover. It was a creamy white, and distressed. And while I loved the look (when it was new,) it was time for a change.
Here you can see how badly the paint was chipping and bubbling from years of use, and from being kept in the garage for a year or more.
First, my hubby sanded it all down so that I'd be starting with a clean, smooth surface. (So sweet of him to help me!)
Then I painted two colors on the top to see which one I liked best. On the left is Crystal Aqua by Valspar, and on the right is Tranquility, also by Valspar. Tranquility is a gorgeous minty green, but it just didn't pop as beautifully as the Crystal Aqua did, so it was an easy decision. (I loved Tranquility so much, that I used it to makeover some other items in the kitchen, though!)
Two coats of paint later (with sanding in between coats,) as well as some distressing with a medium-grit sandpaper block, and it is starting to look happy again. While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I sprayed several coats of a glass frosting spray on the glass fronts. I did this to change the look of the cabinet, and to make it so I don't have to put things in the front panels anymore. I've never used frosting spray before, but it was incredibly easy and turned out just as I had envisioned it.
I shopped around my house and found a marble candle tray and some candles that match my kitchen. I'll be swapping them out for something different soon, but for now, it works.
And here is my "new" cabinet! It is so bright and cheery! And I did it all for under $15, and have leftover supplies for a future project. Love.