Slideshow Widget

Cabinet Makeover for Under $15

Friday, January 10, 2014

Right off the bat, I'm going to be honest and tell you I don't even know what to call this thing! It has had many uses over the years. First, I filled those decorative drawer fronts with doggy food and treats and stored bags of each in the drawers, and my dog's leash and grooming supplies were housed in the cubby on the bottom. Then, after a very thorough cleaning, I filled the fronts with pasta and beans, and used the drawers to store potatoes. I've gotten a lot of good use out of it, but it was in need of some major TLC.

This is what it looked like before the makeover. It was a creamy white, and distressed. And while I loved the look (when it was new,) it was time for a change. 


Here you can see how badly the paint was chipping and bubbling from years of use, and from being kept in the garage for a year or more. 



First, my hubby sanded it all down so that I'd be starting with a clean, smooth surface. (So sweet of him to help me!)


Then I painted two colors on the top to see which one I liked best. On the left is Crystal Aqua by Valspar, and on the right is Tranquility, also by Valspar. Tranquility is a gorgeous minty green, but it just didn't pop as beautifully as the Crystal Aqua did, so it was an easy decision. (I loved Tranquility so much, that I used it to makeover some other items in the kitchen, though!) 


Two coats of paint later (with sanding in between coats,) as well as some distressing with a medium-grit sandpaper block, and it is starting to look happy again. While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I sprayed several coats of a glass frosting spray on the glass fronts. I did this to change the look of the cabinet, and to make it so I don't have to put things in the front panels anymore. I've never used frosting spray before, but it was incredibly easy and turned out just as I had envisioned it. 


I shopped around my house and found a marble candle tray and some candles that match my kitchen. I'll be swapping them out for something different soon, but for now, it works. 


And here is my "new" cabinet! It is so bright and cheery! And I did it all for under $15, and have leftover supplies for a future project. Love. 



Featured on:

Linked with:
Liz Marie BlogFurniture Feature FridaysPIN MEme







12 Responses to “Cabinet Makeover for Under $15”

  1. So beautiful! Great color choice. Those candles are perfect, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I'm really loving the color!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad you like it :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! Thank you for sharing at Redoux!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) And thanks for hostessing!

      Delete
  4. I love this color! What a cute makeover, makes me want to start a project on this cold, snowy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I feel the painting bug coming on again. Too yucky to go outside, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! O love how it brightens up the room :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Shandy, I don't know if you remember me, but I have been thinking about what happened to you. I just went through my followers gadget and just decided to add it to my sidebar again, and there you were! It looks like your focus is on lovely homemakers now!
    Hope you are growing and enjoying all God's blessings!
    Take care and I still LOVE the name of your Blog...
    Happy Valentines Day! Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roxy! I sure do remember you :) Thanks for thinking of me <3 I'm glad to be getting back in the swing of things. Happy that 2014 has brought better health my way. Looking forward to catching up with everything I've missed. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!