Here’s what you may need to pick up at the store if you don’t have them on hand:
Applesauce. Cinnamon. Cookie Cutters. Material Scraps or Twine.
Easy, right? Let’s get started!
Directions, adapted from McCormick.com:
- Preheat oven to 200° F.
- In a bowl, mix together 3/4 c. applesauce and 1 cup + 3 T. cinnamon until well incorporated and smooth.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on a cutting board, and roll out dough to 1/3″ thickness.
- Cut out with small cookie cutters.
- Carefully place cut outs on an unprepared cookie sheet.
- Using a straw, poke a hole at the top of each ornament, as shown in the picture at the top.
- Bake in oven for 2-1/2 hours, until hard. I kept mine in for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut or tear strips of muslin, homespun, or twine for each ornament. I used coffee-stained muslin. Mmmm, smells delicious!
- Place a strip through the hole of each ornament and knot at the top.
- Hang on tree!
- These will last for years if stored carefully in an airtight container!
- Note: even though these are made with just applesauce and cinnamon, they are not edible. Trust me.
- These look FABULOUS when dusted with a fine champagne or bronze colored glitter.