Slideshow Widget

Rice Pudding

Monday, March 18, 2013


Rice pudding is one of those scrumdiddlyumptious comfort foods that my family really enjoys throughout the year, whether it's winter, summer, or somewhere in between. Funny thing is - I hate rice. Won't touch the stuff. But in rice pudding? Love. Then there are those who like rice, but hate rice pudding. Well, all I can say is I've made a few converts with this recipe.

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • a mixture of ground cinnamon and sugar
  • Reddi Whip or light cream (optional, but yummy!)

As you can see, there are no raisins on my ingredient list. I like raisins. Not in my rice pudding. We have a no raisins in the puddin' policy in our house, which is strictly enforced. Moving on...

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F.)
  2. Combine eggs, milk, rice, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl and mix well.
  3. Bake in an 11×7 baking dish for 20 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven. Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Stir well.
  5. Return to oven and bake for another 25 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven. Put into individual serving dishes. Chill well in the refrigerator.
  7. Before serving, sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar. You may also top with Reddi Whip or a little bit of light cream.

I think this is going on the Easter menu this year, and whoever gets the almond in their pudding will get a jar of jelly beans! Allow me to explain... 

My great-grandparents came here from Norway, so I like to keep Norwegian traditions alive and well in our home. One tradition we keep is to serve rice pudding on Christmas Eve. An almond is hidden inside one dish of pudding, and the lucky person to get the almond gets a marzipan pig. It’s a fun way to create memories, remember our heritage, and enjoy this yummy dessert at the same time! I don't think the family will mind a bit if I tweak it just a bit for Easter. Rice pudding AND jelly beans? That's a win-win in my book! 



6 Responses to “Rice Pudding”

  1. mmm, I love rice pudding! So comforting, I've pinned your recipe to try sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne! Thanks for dropping by, and for the pin! Have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds great! I have nominated you for a Liebster award. Check it out.
    http://viewfromrivermountain.blogspot.com/2013/03/i-got-blogger-hug.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for the nomination :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love rice pudding and your tradition! My mother-in -law was the one who influenced me to keep traditions and pass them on. She always got everyone in the car for a ride when there was a full moon, to go get milkshakes. my kids loved that one! She always hid a pickle in the Christmas tree. I always set the table like a fiesta, with a piñata and colorful linens whenever we had taco night or any Mexican food. Now my kids are grown and I get to be silly Grandma with all the fun ideas to celebrate. I love to make ordinary things seem special!
    I love your blog, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda :) Thank you so much for sharing! I love traditions. They make me so happy. I love the milkshake tradition. That is so cute! We have a pickle in our tree as well, in honor of my daughters' German heritage.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!