Slideshow Widget

Liebster Award

Thursday, March 14, 2013


I have a different kind of post today, as I have some exciting news {and if you stick around, you'll learn lots about me!} This week, I was nominated three times for the Liebster Award! I am humbled and honored to accept the award, and pay it forward! I thank the following three ladies for thinking of me...



Megin @ VMG206


Please visit each of their blogs! They are all lovely ladies and have some wonderful things to share with us. These are some of my favorites from their blogs...




Here is the lowdown on the Liebster Award:
The Liebster Award is a very cool and interactive community that helps connect bloggers with other bloggers. It's a way to promote new blogs that have less than 200 followers. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. The nominees get to share facts about themselves, answer some fun questions from the person who nominated them and then nominate the blogs they love! It's kind of like a tag. The reward is finding new awesome blogs and making new friends!

The Fun Rules:

  • The nominee must link back to the blogger who nominated them.
  • The nominee must state 11 facts about themselves, and then answer the 11 questions provided for them by the person who nominated them. 
  • The nominee must then nominate bloggers with less than 200 followers, who they think deserve the recognition, and pose 11 new questions for them to answer. 
  • They must then tell the bloggers who they have nominated about the award.


My 11 Random Facts:
1.  I'm an old soul, and am often described as such. I love the movies {especially the musicals!} music, and way of life of the 40's and 50's. 
2.  I love the Duggar family, and was blessed to be able to meet some of them at my church. I even have pictures of me with Jim Bob, Jana, and Jessa :) I would LOVE to meet Michelle! 
3.  I love genealogy, and have spent literally thousands of hours researching and compiling my family tree... and I'm not even close to being done. Neat facts: I'm related to FDR, Louisa May Alcott, George Bush, and my family was among the first to settle in America. 
4.  I'm a perfectionist. {Not a fun trait, let me tell ya!} It's quite often all or nothing with me, and if I have to do something over repeatedly to get it where I like it, so be it. Been that way since I was a kid. Like if I didn't think my handwriting was perfect, I'd rewrite an entire paper until it looked perfect. Thing is, no one is perfect. Certainly not me... far, far, FAR from it. Thankfully, I love a gracious God. 
5.  I get teased about my animated personality. I'm a giggler. People either find it very endearing, or think I'm on something. HA! I also get teased about my adorably cute dimples, how excited I get about things just like a little kid, and how I talk with my hands {I'm not even Italian... I'm Norwegian, Swedish, and English!} 
6.  I desperately want to go to Disney World. I was there as a little girl, but don't have any memories of it, except two or three foggy ones. I get teary-eyed watching the Disney Vacation Planning DVD. I'm not overly emotional. Just sentimental. 
7.  More than anything, I want a house full of little ones. Problem is, I was diagnosed with infertility more than 10 years ago. My husband and I are praying for God to bless us with a little one, though. He's bigger than a diagnosis. 
8.  I'm a huge history buff and love going to living history museums.  
9. I love living in our small country town {we don't even have a stoplight!} but I'd really love to live in the country somewhere in Oklahoma, and have horses. We had horses growing up, and I miss that. 
10.  I have an irrational fear of bridges and of being physically held down. 
11.  Pet peeves: misspelling or mispronouncing words... makes me cringe. LOL


My 11 questions from Selene:
1.  Who or what inspires you the most when it comes to style of any kind (home, fashion, beauty, etc.)
 I find a lot of inspiration on Pinterest and blogs, but I'm very much my own person with my own sense of style, and I tweak everything to put my personal touch on whatever I'm working on! After all, I've been a crafter and have loved decorating my home long before I even knew what a blog or Pinterest was! ;)
2.  Salty food or sweets?
Depends on my mood. When I crave sweets, it's usually ice cream related... a chocolate malt, a Snickers Ice Cream Bar, or a strawberry sundae. When I crave salt, I grab some salty pecans or walnuts, or *gasp!* fries. LOL 
3.  Favorite vacation destination?
Mackinac Island! I also love Oklahoma, and I can't wait to go back to Disney World!!! Someday. 
4. What are your favorite type of books?
The classics, Christian self-help books on being a better wife/mom/homemaker, and I love Beverly Lewis. 
5.  What do you enjoy the most about blogging?
I like that it motivates me to get stuff done in our home. I enjoy "meeting" new people, and I'm always floored when someone takes time out of their day to spend a few minutes with me. I'm just some midwestern housewife doing what I do. 
6.  What is the project/craft/post you are most proud of?
My fridge organization and my chevron clothespins make my heart happy when I look at them. I'm also proud of myself for following through with making my household binder. It took FOREVER!!! But I'm working on something now, so that just might be my new favorite. (It's kind of like picking a favorite child. You just can't!)
7.  What is your favorite color?
Tiffany blue or anything that comes close... mint, robin's egg blue, turquoise, aqua.
8.  Most embarrassing blogging moment (if any)?
Ummm, this post! LOL
9.  What is your favorite home decor/DIY/ crafting/beauty tip?
My tip is don't follow the trends... they come and go. Unless it was your style before it became "trendy," in that case, knock yourself out ;) Most importantly... "Don't let comparison steal your joy." Don't feel that your home has to look as amazing as some of the homes you see on the internet. 
10.  What is one thing you want to accomplish in the next 5 years?
Get pregnant, and give birth to a healthy baby. 
11.  What is your greatest memory in life?
My greatest memory... there are so many to choose from. I can't pick just one, so I'll pick a person... My dad. His smile and laugh were infectious. I loved watching movies with him in his theatre. I loved listening to his stories. He passed away 5 1/2 years ago, and I miss him terribly. 

My 6 questions from Megin:
1.  I'd love to know how/why you got into blogging?
I never meant to be a blogger. I was the executive administrative assistant for a women's ministry, and the founder asked me if I'd be interested in blogging. It spiraled from there, and here I am. Although, I did have my personal blog already set up, and had posted a couple times several months prior, but only did that as a means of communicating with another blogger friend of mine. I let my blog sit empty for months, until I started blogging for the ministry. I have some health problems, and I was getting stressed out from doing too much, so I stepped down from my position there. Now I just blog here when I can fit it in. No pressure, no deadlines... I can finally do it for the enjoyment of it. 
2.  What is your favorite thing to do on a Sunday?
Church, and then snuggling up on the couch at home and being lazy! :)
3.  What kind of camera do you use and why?
Right now, just the camera on my iPhone. {It's why my pictures are not yet fabulous da'ling! LOL} Why? Because my good camera went missing {grrrrr...} and since we're on a budget, I can't go out and buy a new one yet. But it'll happen, and then I'll be able to take better pictures. In the meantime, please accept my apologies and know that good things come to those who wait ;) 
4. What is your favorite color or color scheme right now?
Favorite color, I answered above. Favorite color scheme... I love blues and greens and grays and creamy whites, with a little splash of yellow here and there. My hubby thinks I'm currently obsessed with anything mint or turquoise and lemons. Yes, lemons. They're pretty.
5.  What is your biggest source of inspiration?
I answered that above in regard to style & fashion, so I'll take this one in a different direction. My hubby inspires me to be a better wife. My mom's work ethic is inspiring, as was my dad's entrepreneurial spirit, strong backbone, and telling it like it is. Most of all, I'm inspired everyday to live a life for Christ. 
6.  What is your favorite morning drink?
I either have a glass of Simply Orange or Simply Lemonade, or ice cold water with a slice of lemon, but it changes with the season. In the fall, I like pumpkin spice cappuccino or hot apple cider. In the winter, hot chocolate or a mocha latte. At Christmas, egg nog. 

My 11 questions from Krista:
1.  What is your favorite color?
Is there an echo in here??? LOL {Tiffany blue} 
2. What do you want to be when you grow up?
All I want to be is a wife and momma <3 
3. If you were to recommend a book to a friend, what book would it be? 
Becoming a Woman Who Pleases God by Lisa Tatlock and Pat Ennis
4. What is your favorite holiday? 
Christmas! Obsessed with Christmas! 
5. Who is your hero? 
My husband {he's an Army veteran... that's definitely a hero in my eyes!}  
6. What are you most proud of?
That I made the decision to put God first, family second, and everything else last. 
7. I have the hardest time completing... (fill in the blank)
Unpacking all of the boxes from our move. 
8. If you could go anywhere in the world and money was not an issue, where would you go? 
I'd take a European tour... Norway, Sweden, Germany, Ireland, England, and Italy. I'd also love to go to Hawaii! 
9. What is your favorite pizza topping?
Pineapple and pepperoni! Mmmmm....
10. What is your fondest memory?
Since I covered my dad in this question earlier, this time I will say having my grandparents live with us when I was growing up.
11. What is your favorite movie?
Holiday Inn {with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire} and Blue Hawaii {with Elvis}
Sweet Home Alabama & National Treasure for more recent films :) 



And the lovely nominees are:

1. April @ House by Hoff 

2. Brooklyn @ Cook & Craft Me Crazy 
4. Brooke @ Blissful Roots
6. Monica @ M Double M Crafts

*I picked blogs that didn't already have the Liebster Award displayed, and have 200 or less GFC followers. 


My 11 questions for the lovely nominees:

1. What is your go-to store for home decor?

2. What is your favorite color? 
3. What would you do if you had to unplug {100%} from internet/tv/cell phones for a week?
4. What do you like your home to smell like? 
5. What is one domestic task you're not good at?
6. What is one domestic task you are awesome at?
7. If you could remodel any ONE room in your home, which room would you choose?
8. What is the best thing about living in your town/city/neck of the woods?
9. What is your favorite item in your home?
10. Which are you more drawn to... cool colors or warm colors?
11. What is your favorite song?


For anyone still reading this, God bless ya! That was a looong post without any fun pics! Thanks again to Selene, Megin, and Krista, and of course, to my awesome readers! :)

UPDATE: Big thanks to Heather from Love to Be Busy! She just nominated me for another Liebster Award! I feel so loved ;) She also asked eleven questions. A few I already answered, but here are the ones I haven't covered yet...

1. What is your favorite treat?
Fattigman (a Norwegian treat that I make at Christmastime) and chocolate fudge from Ryba's on Mackinac Island! I also love strawberry shortcake and chocolate malts :)
2. Where is your dream location to live?
On our own little Hawaiian-like island where the temperature is always in the 70's, and there is no one else for miles. Ok, now coming back to reality... we'd like to live somewhere in Oklahoma, on at least a few acres (I want horses!)
3. What is your favorite scent?
That newborn baby smell. Burning leaves. Hot apple cider. Fresh baked bread.
4. Do you prefer flats or heels?
Flats, only because at 5'6" I already feel tall, and I feel like a giant when I wear heels! I do like wearing a small heel or wedges, though.
5. Favorite meal?
My homemade lasagna with fresh baked cheesy garlic bread. Mmmmm...
6. Best thing about yourself?
This is hard to answer. My hubby says how I always put others first, and that I have a huge heart. I like how sentimental I am, and how I am loyal, funny, and outspoken.
7. Cooking or take out?
Depends on my mood. Take out gets really old, really fast, so I guess I'll say cooking.

That's all folks! Have a fabulous day!

20 Responses to “Liebster Award”

  1. I loved reading this! We have a lot in common: serving God, classic books, old musical movies, living in a tiny town, Disney World!! You seem like a very fun and honest person. And I totally agree with you, God is way bigger than any diagnosis! Thanks for doing this and for the feature!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much, Selene :) Awesome that we have so much in common! Thanks again for nominating me :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Congrats. You are a really sweet person. I am over from The Messy Roost. Following you now, I look forward to seeing you around. Have a great weekend. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda! Thanks so much, and thanks for the follow back :) Have an awesome weekend :)

      Delete
  3. Miss Shandy I loved learning more about you in this post. I wish you lived next door, I'm sure we'd be great friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet :) I'd love to live next door to you! We could sit on the porch with some of those delicious orange rolls of yours and get to know one another better :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Shandy! Thanks so much! I have already received this but just chose not to display it. Thanks so much! I'm loving your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Thanks for dropping by :) Glad you have received the award... well deserved - I really enjoy your blog!

      Delete
  5. And by the way, if we net in person, I'm sure we'd be good buds! We have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun finding people all over the blogosphere who share so much in common :) Too bad we didn't live in our own little community. One thing is for sure... we'd have awesome homes! LOL So much creativity and flair ;)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for bestowing this award :) I will see about passing it forward once I find some time :) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! Have a great day :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the delay!!! I almost forgot! Please forgive my slowness… It just takes a lot of reading to recommend a blog… Take care, JES :)

      Delete
    3. Shandy, please forgive my lateness on this!!! I am so sorry!! I wrote about your award bestowal here and hope you receive some traffic from it: http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/01/awards-appreciation-about-author-and.html

      Happy homemaking, JES :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, my dad died five and 1/2 years ago too! It's hard to lose a parent!

    Infertility is long and painful, and every month is the death of a dream. At least, that's how I saw it during those years when I was living through it.

    But as time went on I also saw it as a gift. My husband and I grew closer. I grew stronger and my faith and trust in the Lord grew. My compassion and empathy for others grew. And I was able (or rather WE were able) to do a lot of stuff we wouldn't ordinarily have been able to do.

    You must have an amazing amount of faith and patience! Thank you for sharing so transparently. I pray that you are able to be blessed with that precious one that you want, whether it's by childbirth or adoption or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing a parent is extremely hard. Something you never get over. Thank you so much for your prayers. I know everything is in God's time, but as you said, every month is definitely the death of a dream. We try to remain hopeful. Thanks for your sweet comment <3 Have a wonderful, blessed week!

      Delete
  8. You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest GFC & Bloglovin follower from the “Lets Get Social” blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelique! Thanks so much :) I will definitely follow back! Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. Shandy
    So fun getting to know you better! Great post :)
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megin! :) Always glad to have you stop by!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!