Slideshow Widget

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Saturday, March 9, 2013


I wish this blog had smell-o-vision. My house smells amazing, and I have one happy family tonight. Get ready to enjoy one of my most requested meals... Everyone asks me for the recipe! It is seriously the best homemade chicken noodle soup you will ever have. 

{Note: This is a double batch and makes a lot of soup. We like to have leftovers for a couple days' worth of lunches!}

Ingredients
  • 1 bag of carrots
  • whole cut-up chicken
  • 1 carton low sodium chicken stock or broth
  • 16 chicken bouillon cubes
  • a couple shakes of salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup poultry seasoning
...and for the noodles...
  • 4 cups unbleached flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1/4-1/2 cup water

Directions
  1. Boil chicken in a large stockpot with 16 cups of water. (We use a 12 qt. stockpot, and it works perfectly.)
  2. Remove the chicken {keeping the broth in the pot on high heat} and pull apart. Set aside. 
  3. Add the chicken stock or broth, as well as bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Stir a few times, and allow bouillon to dissolve as you move on to step four.
  4. Wash, peel, and cut carrots. {You may wish to add celery and onion as well. We leave that out in our house.}
  5. Add carrots and chicken to the stockpot. Cover pot and allow to boil until carrots are done.
  6. Make the noodles.
    • Mix eggs and egg yolks together in a small bowl. 
    • In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt, eggs. Add water in a few tablespoons at a time. The amount of water needed will vary. Knead dough with hands. The dough should be moist {not ooey gooey sticky} and all ingredients incorporated. 
    • Roll out to desired thickness on a floured cutting board, and cut into strips. 
    • Add strips to boiling soup. Noodles will float when done. 
  7. When noodles are done, cover the stockpot. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes. 
  8. Taste test the soup, and add more poultry seasoning and/or pepper {not salt} if needed. 

We like our noodles on the thick side. They are sooooo delicious!

Tip: I keep empty spaghetti sauce jars and mason jars in the cupboard to store this in smaller batches in the fridge, and also to give jars of soup to sick friends/family/church members/new moms/etc. 

Linked with:
SixSistersStuff.com Or so she saysFox Hollow CottageRaising Imperfection Sweet and Savoury Sundayhttp://www.yourthrivingfamily.com/style=Tempt my Tummy TuesdaysWise-Woman-Builds Modern Christian HomemakerEveryday Mom's MealsAddicted to Recipes Button, Page button



24 Responses to “Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup”

  1. oh my goodness.. when I saw the photo of your soup I thought it was mine!!! I use the frozen "Reames noodles" (our large grocery store Publix carries them, not sure all do!) that are like long rectangle dumplings instead of traditional noodles because I love the thick texture of the "dumplings". It inspired me to make a pot today!!! Thank you for sharing, and inspiring on so many levels! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever heard of Reames noodles, but I do LOVE a noodle that's more like a dumpling. The homemade noodles are the best part of this recipe. Mmmm mmmm mmmm :) Thanks for dropping by! Stop back for a visit soon!

      Delete
  2. I love homemade chicken noodle soup. This is a great recipe. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista! I don't usually like soup, but this I could eat at least once a week :)

      Delete
  3. Oh this sounds perfect for healing sick bodies! Someone really needs to get on that smell-o-vision thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a go-to recipe when we have sickies in the house :) And someone definitely needs to make smell-o-vision for the internet and tv! Theatres and places like Disney World can do it, so the technology is there. Spread the Disney magic, people! LOL {Can you imagine how much it would cost. Ugh.}

      Delete
  4. I have never made my own noodles before. I have GOT to try this recipe! I know my family will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The noodles are DELICIOUS. Best part of the recipe, hands down. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for linking up at Raising Imperfection link party. And for stopping to say hi on my blog.
    Dawn
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! And for stopping by :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Nothing more comforting or yummy during winter! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista! Thanks for hosting :) I'll definitely be back. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  7. Oh yum. How delicious! I love chicken noodle soup with a PB&J sandwich. Yummmmm!

    Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie :) Now I'm hungry for a PB&J! LOL Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Mmmm...homemade chicken soup is the best! Bravo for making the noodles too!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! :) I'll be sure to check in on Friday. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. One thing I do to cut my noodles is use a pizza cutter! It makes it so much easier to cut the noodles!!!! :) I LOVE Homemade Chicken N Noodles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Christi! I oftentimes use a pizza cutter, too! :) Hope you're having a great night!

      Delete
  10. This looks delicious! I love homemade chicken noodle soup. I've never made my own noodles, but I'd definitely like to try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Thanks for dropping by. You definitely need to try making your own. They are soooo delicious! Have a great night!

      Delete
  11. Oh this looks perfect! I like that it has big chunks in it! YUM! Thanks for linking up at Sweet & Savoury Sundays! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine! Thanks... we do love big chunks of chicken and carrots :) The noodles are what makes this amazing, though! Mmm mmm mmm! Thanks so much for stopping by, and for hosting the party :)

      Delete
  12. Shandy, I LOVE this! I am embarrassed to say that I have never made my own chicken noodle soup before. :-) This looks so good and hearty. I am printing this out and am going to make it for my family. Thanks for the inspiration and more importantly, for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I hope you will be able to join us again this week! Many blessings, friend, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Let me know how your family likes it :) Thanks for hosting the link-up! Have a great day!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!