Slideshow Widget

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Lamp

Saturday, March 2, 2013



Today is National Read Across America Day, and in honor of that, I have a fun lamp makeover for your child's bedroom or playroom! Before being a full-time homemaker, I was a daycare teacher and ran a family daycare for many, many years. Our Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Lamp was one of my favorite projects! It really added a fun touch to our daycare, and the kids LOVED gathering around it to sing Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! It is so simple, and very inexpensive to create. I bought the lamp at Target a few years back (similar to this one.) Who knew I would be blogging about it someday! Well, certainly not me, so I don't have great "before and after" pictures for you (sorry!) You can (kind of) see the lamp in the picture below.




To make the lamp awesome, I simply cut brown construction paper into strips to make the links. I then taped interconnecting links together, wrapping them around the base of the lamp,all the way up to where the "arms" of the lamp begin. This made the trunk of the tree. Then I did the same thing with green construction paper for the leaves. To make the coconuts, I crumpled up some brown packing paper that I had on hand, and taped them where the trunk meets the leaves. Then I used stencils to make various letters in an assortment of colors, and taped those randomly all over the tree. It turned out better than I imagined it would, and the kids L-O-V-E-D it! 


Cute, right?!?!

If you have little ones or are a daycare or preschool teacher, be sure to check out my Puddle Jumpers Playschool board on Pinterest!



Linking up with:
No Ordinary Blog Hop



9 Responses to “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Lamp”

  1. Love what you did with the lamp. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bella! Stop again soon. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Great idea my kids love that book when they were little. Welcome to NOBH and thanks for following. I am following back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for following back :) Makes my day! I love the NOBH and am happy to be meeting some wonderful ladies. Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  3. I think that's a craft even I could do! No to find a lamp . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super cute lamp! love it! thanks for stopping by my site. now following you too :)

      Delete
    2. Diane - piece of cake! You can find similar lamps at lots of the big box stores. I got mine at Target.

      Becky, thank you! Thanks for the follow, as well!

      Thanks for dropping by, ladies! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. So cute!!! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!! Hope you stop by again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/nifty-thrifting-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! Thanks for hosting a great party :) I linked up my Chevron Painted Clothespins today. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!