Slideshow Widget

How to Banish the "Junk" from Your Junk Drawer

Tuesday, February 26, 2013


The dreaded junk drawer. What state is yours in? Before you answer that, I have a confession story to tell you, that might just make you feel better if yours is a mess.

Once upon a time, four years ago to be exact, I had not one, but TWO junk drawers. Both were the stuff-everything-in-there-until-practically-overflowing-and-if-anyone-ever-lays-eyes-on-this-I’ll-be-mortified kind of junk drawer. Screws & screwdrivers (don’t those belong in a toolbox?), old video rental cards and my college i.d. from years ago (shouldn’t those be shredded?), receipts, batteries, recipe booklets, more receipts, every writing  utensil known to man, sunglasses, report cards, pads of paper, tealights, keys to the car that was sold a couple years prior, keys that I don’t know what they opened…you name it, it was in there. {Feel better? I thought so.} Then one day, I decided to use my OCD tendencies for good instead of evil, and started living by the golden rule. No, not that one. This one: A place for everything, and everything in its place. The junk drawers were banished from the kingdom, and we all lived happily ever after.

So, again I ask, what state is your junk drawer in? Is it happily organized, a chaotic mess, or somewhere in between?

Pop quiz! What’s my golden rule? That’s right! You get a gold star! Now let’s work on finding a place for everything in YOUR drawer. Assignment: Find the time this week to clean and organize your junk drawer.
  • Empty the contents out onto the table or counter.
  • Wipe the drawer clean, including the crevices and corners of the drawer.
  • Now sort everything….
  • If it doesn’t belong in there, put it where it belongs. If it’s in there BECAUSE it doesn’t have a dedicated place where it belongs, CREATE one for it. This is, in my opinion, the number one cause for messes. If it doesn’t have a home, it will wander. Simple as that.
  • If it’s garbage, throw it away. Be selective in what you keep.
  • Put the remaining items into small boxes or baskets that will fit in your drawer. This is the biggest step you can take to make sure your junk drawer (which you can now call something else, because it doesn’t look so junky anymore) stays neat and organized! I heart boxes! As you can see, the only items I don’t have in a box are the extra notepads for my fridge, my scissors, and my coupon binder.
If you’re looking at the picture of my drawer and swoon over those boxes like I do, you can find them HERE. Not only are they pretty, but watch this: presto change-o!!! …*…*…*…*…


Cool, right? Not that lids are essential, but boxes like this would work GREAT for people who have a tendency to overstuff. How many pens or sticky notes do you really NEED in your drawer, right? If you have a problem corralling the clutter, make it a rule that if it doesn’t fit with the lid closed, then it’s too much for the drawer. (As you can see, my one exception is my box with the tape in it, only because the tape is too tall for the lid to fit. The other open box is for my glasses and lens cleaner, and I never bother putting the cover on that, because I know I won’t put other “stuff” in it.)

Don’t want to spend money on boxes? Improvise! Before I bought these, I used Velveeta boxes, and those worked just fine! You can even use double-sided tape to pretty them up with scrapbook paper. Beautiful spaces make me want to keep the space beautiful.


{Featured at At Home with GCH}

Linking up with:
No Ordinary Blog Hop      WhipperberryPolkadot PrettiesSomewhat Simple Housewife How To's Chic on a Shoestring Decorating YOURNAMEPIN MEmeOr so she saysSixSistersStuff.com MixitupIHeart OrganizingI Heart Nap Time



24 Responses to “How to Banish the "Junk" from Your Junk Drawer”

  1. I need to do this! I'm clutter free but have a few hotspots I need to take care of! Everything needs a place to call home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the biggest thing I've learned as far as keeping a clean house goes... everything really does need a place to call home, or it creates chaos, and who wants that? Not me! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh we are on the same path! I Posted a bit back about my organizer I picked up at Ross. LOVE it, it makes me so happy to open that drawer now ... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Confession... I have sometimes gone into the kitchen just to look at my drawer. The uber-organized spots in my home make me blissful :)

      Delete
  3. I have to confess I have several junk drawers - one in each room. Although a few months ago I did organize the drawer in the kitchen and I used boxes too. It works great. I really should work on the other junk drawers.

    Thanks for sharing. Glad to know I am not the only one with a junk drawer.

    Darlene N(Whatever Goes Wednesdays)
    http://darlenebnemeth.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think almost everyone has a junk drawer ;) I always feel better after an organizing project. If you have a few, maybe put aside a small block of time and knock out one each day, or one each week. Slow & steady wins the race :)

      Thanks for stopping by and for following on Google Friend Connect. I'm following you now as well. Have a great day!

      Delete
  4. I was motivated to go and clean out our major junk draw in our kitchen. Just finished it after running to our dollar store to get several small baskets to help organize it all.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I bet your drawer took a sigh of relief ;) Gotta love the dollar store for inexpensive organization! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. Heaven knows I could sure use this information! My two junk drawers are becoming dangerous! I'll be stopping by the dollar store and picking up a few organizing boxes today! Happy to find you over at Thrifty Thursdays and following you via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danni! Thanks for stopping by, and for the follow! So glad this inspired you to take on your junk drawers :) On my way to visit your blog now. Happy Thursday!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's so easy! It's one of those, "Why didn't I do this earlier?!" kind of things ;) And it doesn't take a lot of time.

      Delete
  7. Nicely organized! Thanks for linking up to my Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I love your party. One of my faves, and your blog is so cheery and cute! :)

      Delete
  8. Just beautiful! I love being organized, although I don't always do that. When we moved to our current home, which is tiny, we had to really trim down what we owned. While we had a couple of junk drawers in our last home, there are none here because we don't have the drawers, and because we have dumped the junk, thank goodness! I will keep this in mind if I go back to a bigger space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes downscaling is a wonderful blessing! When we moved here last year (into just a tad bit smaller home) we got rid of so much STUFF! Felt good :) Thanks for popping in! Hope you'll visit soon!

      Delete
  9. Shandy, you have definitely motivated me!! I have some drawers that weren't junk drawers that are needing attention. I like boxes or something to organize the space. Thanks (and welcome) for linking up with WholeHeated Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith! And thanks for stopping by. Your blog is a blessing. Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. Very nice. Been on a decluttering crze here! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday. Hope you link up again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/03/stamping-fun-at-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah :) I was back today for the link up. Thanks again for the invite! (and for stopping by!) Have a great day!

      Delete
  11. Hi Shandy! Thanks for this post..it came just as I'm reorganizing our "junk/random" drawer in our kitchen! Thanks for following my blog:) I just followed back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for following back :) Glad this came at a good time for you. Feels so good to get organized!

      Delete
  12. I love those boxes! I have the notebook from the same line in that color, and it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Don't you just LOVE Martha Stewart's stuff? Beautiful and simple. I wish I could buy it all! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!