Slideshow Widget

Pizza Bread

Friday, January 18, 2013


Pizza bread.
Cheeseburger bread.
Pizza bread.

My oldest daughter saw the cocktail rye sitting on the counter the other night. Knowing exactly why cocktail rye would be in our house, a smile came across her face, followed simply {and appropriately} by the word, "Yum!" Later that evening, I served up a big tray of cheesebur... I mean pizza bread for supper. We said grace, and I said, "Enjoy your cheeseburger bread!" *wink wink* Well, that didn't go over very well at all. Both of my girls looked at me and said, "PIZZA bread!" You see, my mom calls it pizza bread, {as did her mother} but to me, it's more like cheeseburger bread. Can't blame a girl for trying! Some habits are just too hard to break, so PIZZA bread it is. I feel so defeated.

We love pizza bread in our family. You can serve it as an appetizer, or as a main dish. Either way, it's easy to throw together, doesn't take long to make, and can serve a big crowd. Whenever my dad had movie parties {you'll hear more about that when I blog about turning our basement into a theatre} my mom always made these, and they were always a big hit! I hope you enjoy them, too!

Ingredients: 
  • cocktail rye bread {one loaf has approx. 45 pieces}
  • ground beef {1 pound for every 15 pieces of bread}
  • ketchup {1 cup for every pound of ground beef}
  • Velveeta {8 oz. for every pound of ground beef} cut into large cubes
Directions: 
  1. Brown meat in a pan, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks. Drain grease and return to pan. 
  2. Stir in ketchup, then add cheese.
  3. Mix as the cheese melts. Once melted, remove from heat. 
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F.) 
  5. Place bread close together on large cookie sheets. 
  6. Spoon meat onto each piece of bread. {I use the Pampered Chef small scoop for this... perfect amount and they are all uniform.}
  7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The bread will be just a little crisp on the edges. 
  8. Serve hot out of the oven. 

We serve these with good ol' Bush's baked beans, done up the way my dad used to make them... with yellow mustard and brown sugar. As you're heating the beans, stir in a little mustard and brown sugar, and it really makes a difference! {No, the beans don't taste like mustard. Yes, they are delicious!} 


Usually, we make orange salad on pizza bread nights, too! Click HERE for that recipe! Scrumdiddlyumtious!


Linked up with...
PIN MEmeNo Ordinary Blog HopEveryday Mom's MealsAddicted to Recipes Button, Page button


5 Responses to “Pizza Bread”

  1. Replies
    1. If my picky eaters love it, it's almost a sure thing! LOL

      Delete
  2. Wow, yum! Sounds like a perfectly hearty and comforting dish!

    I'd love it if you shared this post and up to two others at Farm Girl Blog Fest #21, which is live right now. You would be a great addition to the wonderful posts that are shared!
    Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest #21
    Hope to see you there!
    ~Kristi@Let This Mind Be in You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristi! Thanks for stopping by :) Thanks for the invitation. I'd love to join you! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing at the Blog Fest, Shandy, it's so nice to have you join us! :) I'm a new follower of yours on Twitter and Facebook! Thank you for following me! :)

      ~Kristi@Let This Mind Be in You

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!