Slideshow Widget

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge

Thursday, January 3, 2013



There is nothing like summer on Mackinac Island. The no cars rule (you get around by bicycle or horse!), the beautiful Victorian homes, the Grand Hotel’s porch, the lilacs, the quaint downtown, and the FUDGE. Ryba’s Fudge Shop has made me a fudge snob. There is nothing in the world like it, and believe me… I’ve tasted a lot of fudge from a lot of places and have tested several recipes, looking for something that comes close, and this recipe comes the closest! Some of my taste testers have even said it’s the best fudge they’ve had, and it sure went over well at Christmastime... every last piece of it disappeared! I'll be making more of this soon for our second family Christmas party. (Yes, I know it's January.) Whether you want to make this as a special treat for your family, or for an upcoming gathering, it's sure to be appreciated and gone in a hurry. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 4 ounces baker’s unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 1/4 Tblsp light corn syrup
  • 4 cups baker’s ultrafine sugar
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 1/2 Tblsp salted butter, melted

Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and chocolate on low until melted, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add salt, corn sugar, and syrup to the saucepan, and gradually increase heat until boiling while stirring constantly.
  3. Once it reaches a boil, stop stirring, and allow to boil until it reaches 234 degrees F on a digital/candy thermometer.
  4. As soon as it reaches 234 degrees, remove the saucepan from the burner, then add in the vanilla and melted butter. Do not stir.
  5. Allow to cool in the pan to 110-115 degrees.
  6. Butter an 8″ cake pan. Bottom and sides.
  7. When fudge reaches  the correct temperature, stir for 14-18 minutes with a wooden spoon. It will become thick and lose its glossiness.
  8. Pour fudge into cake pan and smooth top.
  9. Allow to cool in the refrigerator. Once fudge is completely cooled, cut into small squares.

Linked with:
Pamela's Heavenly TreatsNo Ordinary Blog Hop Addicted to Recipes Button, Page buttonSweet and Savoury Sunday

My fudge was featured at:
Sweet and Savoury Sunday
Everyday Mom's Meals
Pamela's Heavenly Treats

14 Responses to “Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge”

  1. Oh, I love Ryba's Fudge Shop~ Living in WI, I have been to Mackinac Island many times....it's a magical place:) I can't wait to try this recipe! Stopping by from Week-end Potluck~ Now following on GFC. Stop by for a visit sometime~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! I lived in Wisconsin for many years (in the Fox Valley.) Go Pack Go! Thanks for following! I'm on my way over to visit your blog now!

      Delete
  2. Hi I have pinned your fudge recipe. Thank you, this past Christmas I made chocolate covered peanuts that were so good. They are on my page so good. thanks, andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, and for the pin! I've never made my own chocolate covered peanuts. I'll have to do that. Yummy :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. This looks so yummy! Perfect for Easter. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krista! Thanks so much for hosting, and for taking the time to stop by. Have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  4. Your fudge looks delicious! I found your blog thru the Sweet & Savoury Sunday link party!

    Have a Sweet day!
    ~ Heather
    My-Sweet-Mission.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! And thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. This looks so good, I love fudge! Thanks for linking up at Heavenly Treats Sunday! This delish recipe is being featured tomorrow at the Link Party! make sure to come over and get your featured button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature, Pamela! :) I'm so sorry I didn't see this back in March. Computer problems kept me off my blog for some time. But I will be sure to check out the feature and see what you've been up to recently. Thanks again!

      Delete
  6. I adore fudge and this looks amazingly tasty :D thanks for linking up :D You've been featrued!

    Hope to see you there tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you for the feature! :) I feel like a broken record, but I'm very sorry I didn't see this when it was featured. Computer problems kept me off my blog for some time. But I will be sure to check it out and see what you've been up to lately. Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. Hi Shandy. You sound like a woman after my own heart. I'm your latest follower. Found you through The Velvet Moon Baker's linky party.

    Anne (another apron and pearl's wearer) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Thanks so much for stopping by :) I always love hearing from a new follower! And I bet you rock your apron and pearls ;)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write a few kind words!